Entering challenges and competitions on Young Poets Network
We always look forward to receiving your entries for the challenges and competitions we host on Young Poets Network. Before you enter your poem(s), please make sure you’ve read through and understand the below terms and conditions, as well as any additional guidelines listed on the challenge page itself. If you have any questions then please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Unless otherwise stated, Young Poets Network writing challenges and competitions are open to entrants up to the age of 25, based anywhere in the world.
- Entry is always free.
- Unless otherwise stated, written poems and audio or video recordings of performance poems are all eligible.
- You can submit as many poems as you like, and, unless otherwise stated, there is no line limit for written poems, or time limit for spoken word pieces.
- Poems should be sent via email (preferred) to email@example.com,uk. If you are sending a video or audio file, please send it using WeTransfer (for files up to 2GB). Email entries should include the name of the challenge or competition in the subject line.
- If entering by post, poems should be sent to: Young Poets Network, The Poetry Society, 22 Betterton Street, WC2H 9BX. All entrants must include their name, age, gender, and the county they live in (if based in the UK) or the country they live in (if based outside the UK). This information should be included in the body of their email (or on a separate covering sheet if entering by post) when entering their poem, as well as any additional information requested on the challenge webpage.
- Because of the volume of poems we receive, we do not automatically send confirmation of receipt. If you would like us to do this, please include ‘Confirm receipt’ in the subject line of your email.
- Unless otherwise stated, all poems must be mainly written in English. Phrases in other languages are acceptable, as long as the main body of the poem is in English.
- Entries submitted after the deadline (23:59 UK time on the nominated day) will not be eligible for consideration.
- Where an age limit or other similar restriction is imposed in the challenge or competition guidelines, entries which do not meet these terms will not be eligible for consideration.
- Each poem must be the original work of the author (we do run checks for plagiarism on all selected poems).
- Your work is accepted on the basis that this will be its first publication anywhere in the world and, unless otherwise stated, must not have been previously published (in print, including anthologies, magazines or solo collections; online on any website, including blogs, online magazines or on social media such as Twitter, Facebook or Instagram; broadcast on any regional, national or online TV station or via any radio platform) or have won any other competition.
- The judges’ decision is final, and no correspondence will be entered into concerning this decision.
- The winning and commended poems in each competition/challenge will be published on Young Poets Network and on The Poetry Society’s online poems database. By entering you agree to allow us to publish your poem alongside your full name, unless you ask us to do otherwise, if you are a winner.
- By entering a challenge on Young Poets Network, you agree to let us use your email address to respond with the results of this challenge, and on rare occasions to let you know about similar opportunities or challenges we think you would be interested in. You can ask us to delete your data at any time. By entering you also agree to let us anonymise your data (age, gender, county/country) for statistics so we can learn about which audiences are are reaching, and which we need to work harder to reach, and so that can report to our funders. We securely store data about longlisted, commended and winning poets in order to offer more opportunities in future. We will not use this data for any other reason and you can choose not to give it. We store this data in a secure way and will never share it with anyone.
- If you are aged 12 or younger, we will need you to gain permission from a parent or guardian to enter Young Poets Network challenges using this form. You will only need to do this once.
- The copyright of each poem remains with the author. However, authors of the winning poems, by entering a Young Poets Network writing challenge or competition, grant The Poetry Society, and any challenge or competition partners, where appropriate, the right to publish and/or broadcast their poem in perpetuity.
- Competition entries sent by post cannot be returned under any circumstances. Please make sure you take note of all poems entered and send copies only.
- The Poetry Society reserves the right to use poems submitted to Young Poets Network as part of its own and/or any appropriate collaborative research or evaluation.
- We would love to add you to the Young Poets Network mailing list – please let us know when you enter if you’d like us to. We will not share your contact information with any other individual or organisation.
Last updated September 2020