We are asking you to VOTE for your favourite to win the SLAMbassadors People’s Choice Award. Five lucky voters picked at random will receive a YPN notebook. We are also running a competition to be the SLAMbassadors UK Reviewer, includes expenses paid trip to London! Please note this opportunity closed in March 2012.
SLAMbassador Tiana Oldroyd with commended poet Michaeka. Photo: Hayley Madden.
SLAMbassadors is a national championship for young spoken word artists in the UK. Young people from all over the country sent in videos of themselves performing poems to camera, from which eight winners were selected to perform at a live showcase event at the 100 Club on 1 April.
For the first time, we are inviting you to choose your favourite winner. The poet with most votes will win the title of SLAMbassadors UK People’s Choice.
How to vote:
- Watch the eight finalists’ videos below and select your favourite.
- Write one sentence (only one!) on why it’s your favourite.
- Pop your sentence in the body of an email along with your name and age.
- In the email subject bar write “People’s Choice” followed by the name of the poet you would like to win the People’s Choice Award.
- Email your vote to email@example.com
Voting closes Midnight Thursday 29 March 2012 and the winner of the People’s Choice Award will be announced at the showcase on 1 April. Five voters will be randomly selected to win a Young Poets Network Notebook.
Watch The Finalists
Aaron ICY Denyer – Shopping List for the Modern Era
Charlotte Higgins – Things in my Childhood Bedroom
Emily Anne – The Chemistry of Society
Gabriel Akamo – Honesty
Harry Wilson – Awaiting Response
Megan Beech – Toleranter
Renne Pascal – Stupid
Tamara Lawrance – Work in Progress
Win the chance to become the official SLAMbassadors UK Reviewer
The SLAMbassadors UK reviewer will have the chance to meet the SLAMbassadors finalists, the Slam’s Artistic Director Joelle Taylor and star poet Dizraeil. Your expenses will be paid for you to come down to London to attend the SLAMbassdors showcase event on 1 April, and you will be asked to write a review of the event to be featured on the Young Poets Network and SLAMbassadors UK websites.
How to Enter the competition to become the official SLAMbassadors Reviewer:
- Select your favourite SLAMbassadors UK finalist video and write up to 500 words on why you think it is the best performance.
- Copy this into the body of an email along with your name, age and address.
- Write your name and “SLAMbassadors Reviewer Competition” in the subject bar.
- Send the email to firstname.lastname@example.org
The chance to be the official SLAMbassadors UK Reviewer is open to 16-25s living in the UK. The SLAMbassadors Reviewer competition closes midnight on Thursday 22 March 2012.
Winners will receive a trip to London including travel and food. We will also be offer accomodation, should the winners live further afield.
Published in March, 2012